The Father Marquette Statue has watched over Marquette for over 100 years. Originally created in Florence, Italy the statue features a bronze likeness of Father Jacques Marquette. Father Marquette was a French Jesuit missionary who founded Michigan's first European settlement (Sault Ste. Marie) in 1668.
In 1897 the statue was dedicated in the city of Marquette, near the old Water Works Plant near East Ridge Street. It was moved to its present location on Front Street overlooking the Marquette Lower Harbor in 1913.
This holiday season the Marquette Beautification & Restoration Committee is using an image of the Father Marquette statue from Rademacher Photography as the cover of their holiday card. The card will be sold to help raise funds to refurbish the Father Marquette statue. Cards will be available soon at the Marquette Arts & Culture Center in the Peter White Library. They will also be sold at the Marquette Downtown Development Authority Office.
For more information about the holiday card cost and availability contact the Marquette Beautification & Restoration Committee.
Rademacher Photography is proud to be part of an effort to preserve the artistic and cultural heritage of Marquette.